Thursday, January 06, 2005

So much for Resolutions

I already blew the one that said I was going to blog daily. I do have an excuse though. I always have excuses. But this year I was supposed to stop having excuses. I think this just proves that my life is just too exciting.

Someone I knew from high school died. Brain tumor. He was my age. We were only acqaintences but I haven't known that many people who were my age who were terminally ill. It just made me reflect on living life.

Tsunami. Tsunami. Tsunami. I can't help but be engulfed in every image, every communique, every ounce of information that comes from the media. I gave money to the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. I want to send a goat and cow to the afflicted areas thru Heifer International. I want to help rebuild schools and hospitals. I want to send all of my camping equipment and bicycle. I want to send our old but working computers to anyone who can use them over there. I want to adopt 10 of those children. I want to stop every child smuggler/trafficker from kidnapping these kids and selling them into slavery and prostitution. I want President Bush to send more of his own money because $10k from him is a drop inthe bucket. Sandra Bullock and Leonardo DiCaprio gave over 2 million. $10k looks ridiculous! Hell, I want to jump on a plane and do anything. Clean a street. Set up a refugee tent. Bury the dead.

I am so demanding. But the end result of all of this devestation? I have been decluttering my house and life while giving generously to others. Toss. Donate. Get rid of stuff. Live life to the fullest, minimally, without too much stuff but appreciating my husband and stepdaughter more. Already, I have given coats to the NYC Coat Drive for the homeless, a lot of food to City Harvest, because they need it year round, not just for the holidays, and clothing to Catholic Charities. I am donating suits I don't wear anymore to Dress for Success, they help women who are on welfare get jobs. This is just within the past 3 weeks. And I still have tomorrow! I after I declutter I will have to find a way to donate some time to something grassroots, to help with the community I live.

On a happier note, my bestest friend, of whom I have known since high school, got her big break this week and appeared in a commerical and was asked to do the voiceovers for all 5 that the agency was producing for a local supermarket chain in Connecticut. You see, K has been preparing for this opportunity for a long time. Then serendipity steps in when you least expect it. She was president of the forensics team in college, a communications major and took voiceover training and completed a demo tape. Then she got pregnant (with number 3) and put the dream on hold until her son was older. Even with 3 kids, she is the most organized person I know, but she put some of her own dreams on hold to raise her beautiful family. Then one day, walking out of the supermarket, someone stops her and asks if she would be interested in doing a commerical for the store. Fates! Serendipity! God smiling! So, you go girl! Fly! What a great beginning to the year!

Now if I could only get myself psyched for resolutions again. Atkins, here I come.

No comments: