Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Cool, practical present

My brother and sister-in-law know me well. We just received our first baby gift in the mail. It was a cute baby picture frame (with gift-receipt, they know me too well) and a great book called Baby Bargins. Now if I were to recommend it, I would recommend you borrow it from someone because buying it seems to defeat the purpose of a bargin. At least get it on sale.

Anyway, since I have NO clue what we got ourselves into by "letting one past the goalie" as my honey so elequently put it, I also have no clue what we are in for with all the stuff that comes along with the baby. Here is where the book comes in handy. OMG, there are so many rules. I thought we could just borrow a crib. Or buy second hand stuff at yard sales if needed. Big ticket items especially. Oh no. There are federal regulations. Certifications. Wood vs metal cribs. Foam vs coil mattresses. Knee release vs double trigger release for the side of the crib. Solid sides vs slats. Italian vs Canadian vs American made. It has taken me 2 round-trip commutes to get through the crib section. Old vs new. Convertable vs non-convertable crib beds. My head is spinning.

At least the book has a rating system and reviews almost everything baby associated. I think it will take me all summer to read. I finally feel like I am accomplishing something. It feels good to be informed. Unlike the pregnancy books that make you paranoid, this actually made you feel as if you are doing the best you can for the new little one. Now my mom is disappointed that I don't want a bassinet that she can decorate all pretty with a frilly skirt. I would like to get a pack-n-play with a bassinet feature. Hey, I'm trying to be thrifty! Save the money for college (and Disney World and braces...)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey chica -

Don't you think it's funny that you're having a baby at the SAME TIME I'm getting rid of all my baby stuff? All in good shape, certified, etc. I've got a crib, bassinet swing with bassinet feature, exersaucer, highchair, pack-n-play. Give me a call - we'll discuss!

Love,
K

Anonymous said...

Ooh I just had a post about buying a carseat and crib. Baby Bargains is a great book on saving money.

In any case...congrats to you!