Friday, March 25, 2005

Cravings

I have been DYING for sushi. I know you aren't supposed to eat it, blah, blah, blah. But my body wants sushi. NOW. I used to treat myself to sushi every payday for dinner. More like a pre-dinner appetizer. A 6-piece California roll with sushi tuna and salmon was my favorite. Low-msg soy sauce, edemame, and iced green tea and I was set for the train ride home. It was awkward to eat on the train with chopsticks, but I was determined. And I succeeded.

Once you get pregnant, there are all kinds of things you aren't supposed to eat. Sushi is one of them. I understand the concern over raw fish, but what the heck do pregnant Japanese women eat? I have seen a Japanese breakfast buffet, I wouldn't eat miso soup for breakfast, but they do. They certainly don't give up sushi, do they? What would be the harm in giving in to a California roll? Mostly vegetables. Avacado. Crab meat (cooked). It can't be that bad. So I gave in. And DAMN! It was heaven.

Don't be calling Child Protective Services on me. I eat healthy. I take my vitamins (eventho they make me sick) and am trying pregnancy yoga. I don't watch The L Word or other "could be considered offensive" shows for fear that it could impact the kid. Let me live just A LITTLE! Jeesh! Oh, and I am having it again today because it is Good Friday and I am all about raising a little Roman Catholic kid on not eating meat on Fridays, so at least I have some responsibility in teaching religion and spirituality at an early age. (Negative comments about raising the kid Catholic will not be tolerated. Thanks!) So there!

2 comments:

Beth Fish said...

My OB said I could eat sushi if I wanted to, as long as it was in moderation. So see, you have done nothing wrong!

Anonymous said...

As long as the sushi is cooked, you shouldn't have any problems. It's only the raw stuff that you need to avoid, chica!

During my pregnanacies, I have craved Tootsie Rolls, coconut, Hawaiian Punch, salsa, and more! The kids turned out OK (for the most part!) Indulge now and then. Just keep everything in moderation.

Talk to you soon!

Love,
K