1. I used to race sailboats. I just rediscovered my love for sailing virtually by watching Hard Water on Worldsport HD. I get to relive the knot in the pit of my stomach as the J22 class boats jockey their way for the starting line as well as rounding the mark just barely missing it. I can almost feel the water spraying up as I watch the crew lean over the sides. And the camera work and settings for every regatta are amazing. I only used to crew my aunt and uncle's boat at the Sayville Yacht Club in the Great South Bay on Long Island. But now living right on the Hudson River, I see sailboats (as well as freighters, tankers, The Circle Line, and garbage barges being towed by tug boats) every day. I kinda miss it. You can take the girl off the island, but I will never live far from water.
2. I used to horseback ride. Not formally, but often enough. There was a park by my house that had a stable and we used to ride there a lot (especially the horse named "Nanoo"). My neighbors had horses and they would take the kids from the block around. We also used to feed their chickens and goats. My cousin rode horses competitively and we would go with her until "Niblick" threw me off. And my best friend in high school had a horse that we would ride sometimes. So, it really wasn't a whole lot, but definitely more than a lot of people I know. As soon as the kids are able, I want to go again.
3. I ski black diamond trails. I started skiing when I was 12 at Scotch Valley (then it became Deer Run) in the Catskills. We then skied the rest of the Catskills and then Southern Vermont with my aunt and uncle who had a ski house in Londonderry. We loved Bromley and Stratton, Okemo, and Magic, in the winter and summer. In high school and college I was in the ski club and went to Mt Snow and Killington, Whiteface and Mad River Glen. I have skied all the mountains in the Poconos and the Berkshires. I still prefer Killington and Windham. I have never been to the Rockies. The best part was going with my aunt and uncle and 2 cousins every year the week between Christmas and New Years, never being awake to see the ball drop as we were to exhausted from a fun day. We have the best memories as we would have fun in a paper bag. The stories will be another post.
I started skiing again right before I got pregnant with Miranda. I hadnt gone in over 10 years and my honey insisted that I try snow boarding first. I did, and I hated it. So I stormed back inside the rental shack, switched to skis and felt like I never left. I cannot wait to go again this year and for Miranda to be old enough to go.
4. I wanted to be a dancer when I was little. I took all kinds of lessons right through 9th grade(ballet, tap, jazz, baton) and loved it. I still love to dance but there aren't any 30 and over clubs around and I would feel ridiculous with the little bippies shaking booty to some crap music.
5. I am a sucker for any movies that have elaborate costumes or interesting editing or are a musical. My favorite movies are action films.
6. I used to read 26 books a year when I had a 2+ hour commute. Now with an infant and toddler and no commute, I rarely have time and I miss it. I have to finish reading Thomas Cahill's Sailing The Wine-Dark Sea.
Monday, August 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment