Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dream #2 Fulfilled

When I was 13, a friend of mine had an extra ticket to see The Police on their Synchronicity tour at Madison Square Garden. I BEGGED my parents to let me go as I was already a full-fledged fan after hearing Zenyatta Mondatta in 1980. They would not budge citing that I was too young, yadda, yadda...all the things a 13 just doesn't want to hear. So, I didn't go.

After the show, they broke up.

Words cannot describe the saddness and disappointment that I felt.

Well, 24 years later, I FINALLY got to see Sting, Stewart, and Andy together again at Rentschler Field in Hartford, CT.

Again, words cannot describe how much emotion I felt. I actually teared up when they started the first song. I danced and sang along to almost every song (how can people sit down at shows? I just don't understand.). And I screamed my head off. I recorded Roxanne on my cell phone. It was awesome (but WHY did they play Walking in Your Footsteps?).

I don't have to see another concert as long as I live. I started in 1984 with Cindy Lauper (my cousin and I actually tried to DRESS like her, ick), MANY shows at Jones Beach (10,000 Maniacs, Sarah McLaughlin, Live, Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, Tina Turner, Powerstation, Arcadia, Heart, Wang Chung, Yes, Chicago...I can't even remember them all, some in lightning storms), then continued with The Eagles reunited, Pink Floyd at Yankee Stadium, The Who at Giants Stadium, The Fixx in Sag Harbor, The Grateful Dead at Highgate, Vermont right before Jerry died (pushing my car along to save gas in horrific traffic and driving thru CANADA to get home), experiencing both Woodstock '94 and '99 (that could be it's own post), Paul McCartney with my parents, The Allman Brothers (I only remember the first song after doing shots right before the show then ended with puking on my friend's shoes-does it still count?) Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, Billy Joel and Elton John (separate and together) , The Tragically Hip (three times) in small venues, Nine Inch Nails (Three times), Phish at Plattsburgh Air Force Base for Clifford Ball , U2 (twice), Sting every time he toured, Harry Connick Jr, Barry Manilow, Duran Duran reunited (dream #1) and others (I will not list the 80's hair bands). After over 100 shows, my concert career has come full circle.

No comments: